Academy Resource Center
Support for Online Classes
Participating in Online Discussions
Participation in discussions is a major part of your grade. It is important to take these discussions seriously to succeed in online classes.
- Students’ responses should be several sentences to a full paragraph.
- Students must support their responses with specific information and key points introduced in the module.
- Students should read other student responses and try to contribute something NEW to each discussion.
- Students should not repeat what others have said.
- Students should show that they have really thought about the material.
- Responses must be in students’ OWN WORDS.
Tip: While some of the points may be the same, one can show that s/he has thought about it by using different examples.
Tip: Responses can be formed in a word processing program. They can then be saved and copied and pasted into the discussion submission box.
- Submit discussion responses early. If you wait too long, the opinions/answers will be the same as what has been already written.