Academy Resource Center
SPEAKING LAB (ON-SITE)
The Speaking Lab will help you improve in your spoken English needed for both informal conversation and formal classroom activities.
CONVERSATION GROUPS (50 minutes)
- Practice informal and everyday English conversation in a small group (maximum 6 students) with a tutor.
- Feel more comfortable participating in spoken conversational English.
- Meet other English learners and make friends.
- Groups meet every hour Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM.
CRITIQUE PRACTICE (75 minutes)
There are two kinds of critique appointments:
- Practice critiquing examples of student and professional artwork in the Speaking Lab and outside at local galleries and museums.
- Learn vocabulary and phrases to describe and analyze artwork in critiques.
- Improve critiquing skills to better participate in classroom critiques.
Critique 1: Bring Your Own Work
Practice a critique of your own work in a friendly and supportive environment.
Critique 2: Visit Museum/Gallery/Public Art
Practice critiquing examples of professional artwork at a local museum, gallery, or public art piece.
PRESENTATION PRACTICE (50 minutes)
- Practice giving presentations and receive feedback from a tutor.
- Get help with language issues (vocabulary, organization, etc.) needed to present effectively.
- Improve delivery skills such as eye contact, body language, volume, and pace.
PRONUNCIATION GROUPS (50 minutes)
- Practice pronouncing English sounds for clear and effective communication in a small group of up to 3 students.
- Participate in guided pronunciation exercises.
- Learn how to monitor and correct your own pronunciation problems.
To make an appointment for Critique Practice, Presentation Practice, or Pronunciation Groups, please visit: tutortrac.academyart.edu
- Log in with your AAU Student Self-Service ID and Password.
- Click on “Search Availability.”
- Choose “Speaking Lab” as the “Center.” Under “Reason,” choose which kind of appointment you want to make. Then, click “Search.”
- Find an available appointment that works in your schedule.
- Presentation and Pronunciation are 50 minutes and Critique is 75 minutes.
- You can make 1 appointment per week per student.
- Walk-ins are welcome depending on tutor availability.
- Late arrivals may lose time slot.
NO APPOINTMENTS are needed for Conversation Groups.
Find a group in Study Area F and drop in!
CANCELING AN APPOINTMENT
If you can’t make your appointment, you must cancel 24 hours before your scheduled appointment time. Log in to Tutortrac and click the “x” next to your appointment time to cancel. Enter a reason and confirm your cancellation.
All Speaking Lab appointments take place at 79 New Montgomery, 3rd floor, Room 316. Conversation Groups meet in Study Area F.
Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Please note: The Speaking Lab is closed during all school holidays and breaks.
SPEAKING LAB (ONLINE)
The Online Speaking Lab offers two types of appointments for speaking practice. The lab is open for both online and on-site students to use. You will need a computer with a microphone and web camera to participate.
CONVERSATION GROUPS (50 minutes, up to 3 students per appointment)
PRESENTATION PRACTICE (50 minutes, 1-on-1 appointment)
There are no drop-in appointments. You must make an appointment with an Online Speaking Lab Tutor by visiting: tutortrac.academyart.edu
For more information about the Online Speaking Lab, go to: ONLINE SPEAKING LAB INFO