Academy Resource Center
English as a Second language (ESL)
How To Practice Your Presentation
Don't read your presentation.
- You can memorize your introduction and conclusion so that you can relax while you are speaking.
- You will be able to look at the audience and give an impression of confidence.
Practice out loud from beginning to end many times.
- Practice in front of a mirror, a friend, or into a tape recorder.
- Time yourself and use your visual aids. This is very important because:
» You won't have to worry during your presentation about running out of time.
» You will know how much extra time you will need to show your visual aids.
» You will have worked through any problems in handling your visual aids.
Focus on your delivery.
- introduce yourself
- look at the audience
- pay attention to the audience's reactions
- use descriptive language
- appeal to the emotions and experiences of the audience